Yes, there are plenty of overachievers who already planned out their 2023 wedding first dance song several months ago! 🙂 It’s completely understandable, though, since love songs are often timeless! There is no need to wait for a new song to come out if you already reviewed the lyrics and chosen your perfect song.
We know that many people choose similar 2022 wedding first dance songs or similar wedding dance songs. If you’re looking for songs that are different, and perhaps, not overdone, check out our 15 not overplayed wedding songs article. We wrote this focusing on the ceremony processional/recessional songs, but you can certainly use these song ideas for your first dance, too!
So here is our list of the most-requested first dance wedding songs from Austin/central Texas as chosen by couples around the US.
30 Popular Songs You’ll Love
50. “You and Me” by Lifehouse
This song has been a wedding favorite for several years. Look up the lyrics video on YouTube, to read the rest of the lyrics and you’ll understand why!
49. “Annie’s Song” – John Denver
48. “I’ll Be” – Edwin McCain
47. “When You Say Nothing at All” – Allison Krause
46. “If I Ain’t Got You” – Alicia Keys
45. “Bless the Broken Road” by Rascal Flatts.
44. “Millionaire” – Chris Stapleton
43. “You’re Still the One” by Shania Twain.
42. “Coming Home” – Leon Bridges
41. “You” – Dan + Shay
40. “Nobody But You” – Blake Shelton
39. “Let’s Get it Started” by Black Eyed Peas.
38. “Prayed for You” by Matt Stell.
37/36. “You Are The Reason” by Calum Scott, Leona Lewis. This is the same song, but done by two different artists. Both are popular.
Lyrics about Love: “I’d climb every mountain and swim every ocean just to be with you. And fix what I’ve broken, oh, ’cause I need you to see that you are the reason…”
35. “A Thousand Years” by Christina Perri.
Lyrics about Love: “I have died every day waiting for you. Darling don’t be afraid I have loved you for a thousand years. I’ll love you for a thousand more…”
“Made for You” – Jake Owen
34. “I Wanna Dance With Somebody” by Whitney Houston.
This song is often chosen to kick off the party with some fun 80s songs. Some couples will skip the first dance and just get straight to the fun.
33. “You Make it Easy” by Jason Aldean.
Lyrics about Love: “You make it easy, lovin’ up on you. Make it easy with every little thing you do. You’re my sunshine in the darkest days, my better half, my saving grace…”
32. “Wonderful Tonight” by Eric Clapton.
Lyrics about Love: “We go to a party and everyone turns to see, this beautiful lady that’s walking around with me. And then she asks me, “Do you feel all right?” And I say, “Yes, I feel wonderful tonight…”
31. “Stand By Me” by Ben E. King.
Lyrics about Love: “No I won’t be afraid. Oh, I won’t be afraid, just as long as you stand, stand by me…”
30. “I Don’t Wanna Miss a Thing” – Aerosmith
29. “Die a Happy Man” by Thomas Rhett.
Lyrics about Love: “If I never get to see the Northern Lights, or if I never get to see the Eiffel Tower at night. Oh, if all I got is your hand in my hand, baby, I could die a happy man…”
28. “I Don’t Dance” by Lee Brice.
Lyrics about Love: “Love’s never come my way, I’ve never been this far. But you took these two left feet and waltzed away with my heart…”
27. “I Cross My Heart” by George Strait.
Lyrics about Love: “I cross my heart and promise to give all I’ve got to give to make all your dreams come true. In all the world you’ll never find a love as true as min
26. “Shut Up and Dance” by Walk the Moon.
Yes, it’s a faster, upbeat song, but it’s a great 2021 wedding first dance song for couples who want to just get the party started. Many couples have said that they don’t really like being the center of attention, so starting the dance with this song can be a good idea if you’re one of those couples!
25. “Yours” – Russell Dickerson (the wedding version) This song has been very popular for 2020/2021 weddings!
Lyrics about Love: “I came to life when I first kissed you. The best me has his arms around you. You make me better than I was before, thank God I’m yours…”
Lyrics about Love: “‘Cause every single day, before I knew your name. I couldn’t see your face, but I prayed for you. Every heartbreak trail when all hope failed, on the highway to hell, I prayed for you…”
24. “The Way You Look Tonight” – Frank Sinatra
23. “Then” by Brad Paisley.
Lyrics about Love: “And now you’re my whole life, now you’re my whole world. I just can’t believe the way I feel about you, girl…”
22. “Your Song” by Elton John.
21. “Say You Won’t Let Go” by James Arthur.
Since 2016, this song has been a great choice for couples, everywhere. It also went double platinum on the UK Charts.
Lyrics about Love: “I knew I loved you then, but you’d never know, cause I played it cool when I was scared of letting go. I know I needed you…”
20. “Amazed” by Lonestar.
Lyrics about Love: “I don’t know how you do what you do. I’m so in love with you. It just keeps gettin’ better. I wanna spend the rest of my life with you by my side, forever and ever…”
More Songs You’ll Love for Your First Dance
19. “Beyond” by Leon Bridges.
Lyrics about Love: “I’m scared to death that she might be it. That the love is real, that the shoe might fit. She might just be my everything and beyond (beyond)…”
18. “Thinking Out Loud” – Ed Sheeran. Though this song is older, it’s still a great choice among all of the first dance songs. You can also use it for any other moment of the night!
Lyrics about Love: “So honey now, take me into your loving arms. Kiss me under the light of a thousand stars. Place your head on my beating heart. I’m thinking out loud. Maybe we found love right where we are…”
17. “Speechless” – Dan + Shay. This has been one of the top Country first dance songs since it was released in 2018. We certainly understand why, since it’s a great song with powerful lyrics!
Lyrics about Love: “I’m speechless staring at you, standing there in that dress. What it’s doing to me, ain’t a secret ’cause watching you is all that I can do. And I’m speechless…”
16. “Best Part” by Daniel Caesar and H.E.R.
Lyrics about Love: “Where you go I follow. No matter how far. If life is a movie, oh you’re the best part…”
15. “All of Me” – John Legend. This song dominated the first dance wedding songs list for a few years, but it’s not as popular, now, for first dances. It’s still a great song for any time during the wedding.
Lyrics about Love: “‘Cause all of me, loves all of you. Love your curves and all your edges, all your perfect imperfections. Give your all to me, I’ll give my all to you…”
14. “In Case You Didn’t Know” – Brett Young. Since 2017, this song has made it onto wedding playlists, every weekend, and understandably so. Be sure to consider this for your wedding playlist. It’s perfect for any time during the reception.
Lyrics about Love: “In case you didn’t know, baby I’m crazy ’bout you. And I would be lying if I said that I could live this life without you…”
13. “Can’t Take My Eyes Off of You” – Frankie Valli
12. “Lover” by Taylor Swift.
Lyrics about Love: “We could let our friends crash in the living room. This is our place, we make the call. And I’m highly suspicious that everyone who sees you wants you. I’ve loved you three summers now, honey, but I want ’em all…”
11. “From the Ground Up” – Dan + Shay. Yes, this is another Dan + Shay song!
Lyrics about Love: “And we’ll build this love from the ground up. Now ’til forever it’s all of me, all of you. Just take my hand and I’ll be the man your dad hoped that I’d be…”
Top 10 First Dance Songs Couples Love
10. “Tennessee Whiskey” – Chris Stapleton.
We don’t play this song as much for the first dance, but it’s very popular for the reception. People don’t think of it as a love song, since you can’t quite tell from the main lyrics. It seems as though every weekend, we’ve been playing this song since it came out!
Lyrics about Love: “You’re as smooth as Tennessee whiskey. You’re as sweet as strawberry wine. You’re as warm as a glass of brandy, and honey, I stay stoned on your love all the time…”
9. “Forever After All” – Luke Combs
8. “September” – Earth, Wind & Fire
7. “Joy of My Life” – Chris Stapleton
6. “Growing Old With You” – Restless Road
5. “Beautiful Crazy” – Luke Combs
Lyrics about Love: “Beautiful, crazy, she can’t help but amaze me. The way that she dances, ain’t afraid to take chances and wears her heart on her sleeve. Yeah, she’s crazy but her crazy’s beautiful to me…”
4. “At Last” by Etta James.
This is still a great first dance song after so many years!
Lyrics about Love: “The skies above are blue. My heart was wrapped up in clover, the night I looked at you…”
3. “Perfect” – Ed Sheeran.
This is still a popular first dance song. It was released in 2017, and the second version of this song was released at the end of 2017, titled “Perfect Duet.” It was hard to make this song any better, but adding Beyonce did exactly that! Be sure to check out the version with Andrea Bocelli, too.
All three of these songs are the perfect wedding first dance song! (No pun intended) 🙂 Be sure to check out the lyrics video, too. We included some of the lyrics, below.
Lyrics about Love: “Baby, I’m dancing in the dark with you between my arms. Barefoot on the grass, we’re listenin’ to our favorite song. When you said you looked a mess, I whispered underneath my breath, but you heard it, darling, you look perfect tonight…”
2. “Can’t Help Falling in Love” – Elvis Presley – This is a timeless song, that’s perfect for your first dance. Check out the remakes, too, which are just as good! 🙂 The most popular version is now the Haley Reinhart version, listen, here!
Lyrics about Love: “Take my hand, take my whole life too. For I can’t help falling in love with you…” (We know you already knew the lyrics, but we thought we’d write the lyrics anyway). haha
- “Better Together” – Luke Combs – Yes, Luke made the list three times! 🙂 We love Luke! Here are some of the lyrics:
Your Wedding, Your Love, Your Song
Remember, this is your special moment. The best first dance songs that work for some weddings, may not work for you. Your song should be about you and your partner’s love. There are thousands of love songs, but not all of the love songs, and their lyrics, will be perfect for you.
We recommend narrowing down the list to your favorite 4-5 songs. Then, listen to all of the love songs you really love and read the lyrics by looking them up on YouTube. Simply type in the name of the song + “lyrics,” or song name + “lyrics video.” Reading the lyrics will help you better understand the song’s meaning and how it will work for your special moment!
More 2023 First Dance Songs
We hope you found this list helpful and that we helped you pick your song! These are the top 2022 wedding first dance songs couples really love! We know there are so many more great wedding songs out there, though.
This list is the most-requested at the time of this writing. For other examples, feel free to visit our Austin’s Best DJs’ Spotify Lists. We’ll certainly update this list every quarter, to reflect the changes.
Great Wedding Reception Songs You’ll Love
If you’re looking for great wedding reception songs, be sure to visit our Top Wedding & Party Songs article for the top 200 wedding reception songs! We’ve got tons of wedding planning tips and info in this blog.
Contact Austin’s Best
As always, if you have any questions or need any help with your playlist, send us an email, or leave a comment, and we’ll certainly be happy to help you! Thanks for reading and happy wedding planning!
Please share the love and share this article with anyone who may be looking for the best first dance songs!
– Austin’s Best DJs & Photo Booths