As wedding DJs, we often get asked about the best mother-son wedding dance songs for weddings. The first dance song and the parent dances (mother son, mother daughter, & father daughter dance) are some of the most important wedding traditions of any wedding reception. Naturally, people always ask us for a list of the best songs & song suggestions for this special day!
Finding the perfect song is definitely not easy, so we wanted to help you by providing a great starting list of mother son wedding dance songs. We gathered some of the best mother son dance song requests that we could find for this special moment between the groom and his mother. We tried to vary the list by including slow song options (think love song), and faster tempo, upbeat song ideas, too, just in case you want to bust out your awesome dance moves! 🙂
If you want to see listen to each of these songs, and even see the lyrics, check out our music library page for the top mother son songs. Go ahead and grab your tissues now. 🙂 Let’s get to that mother-son dance songs list, now!
Top 40 Mother Son Dance Songs
50. “We Are Family” – Sister Sledge (Yes, we do play this for this dance. This is for the clients who don’t really want the spotlight on them. We simply invite everyone to join them on the dance floor).
49. “Call Your Mama” Seth Ennis ft. Little Big Town
48. “He Gets That From Me” – Reba Mcentire
“Return to Pooh Corner” – Kenny Loggins
47. “I’ll Always Love My Mama” – The Intruders
“September” – Earth, Wind, and Fire (this is also a good song to kick off the dance)
46. “God Only Knows” – Beach Boys
“Godspeed (Sweet Dreams)” Dixie Chicks
45. “Dancing Queen” – ABBA (nothing says good times, like this song) 🙂
“Come in Eileen” – Dexy’s Midnight Runners
44. “Dear Mama” – Tupac (we love this one)
43. “Isn’t She Lovely” Stevie Wonder
42. “Find Your Wings” – Mark Harris
41. “Sweet Child O’ Mine” Guns n Roses
“Wonderful Tonight” – Eric Clapton (This song is a great way to start the reception, too. The older relatives will love this song).
40. “(They Long to Be) Close to You” – Carpenters
“How Long Will I Love You” – Ellie Goulding
39. “Wildflowers” Tom Petty
“The Baby” – Blake Shelton
38. “My Girl” Temptations (this is also a popular father/daughter song)
37. “Just the Way You Are” – Billy Joel
“Brown Eyed Girl” – Van Morrison – who doesn’t love this song?
36. “Here Comes the Sun” – The Beatles (definitely a John Lennon classic hit)
35. “Love Shack” B 52s (this one is usually played because the mom loves the song). 🙂
34. “Do I Make You Proud” – Taylor Hicks
33. “Have I Told You Lately” – Rod Stewart
32. “Unforgettable” Nat King Cole
“I’ll Be There” – Jackson 5
31. “Close Your Eyes” Michael Buble
“Wind Beneath My Wings” – Bette Midler
30. “Ain’t No Mountain High Enough” – Marvin Gaye
“Then They Do” – Trace Adkins
29. “That’s What Mamas Do” – Jason Matthews
28. “You’ve Got a Friend in Me” Lyle Lovett and Randy Newman
27. “Loves Me Like a Rock” – Paul Simon
26. “Like Jesus Does” – Eric Church
25. “Somewhere Over the Rainbow” – Israel Kamakawiwo’ole (this song is one of the most requested songs for the mother-groom dance).
24. “Mama’s Song” – Carrie Underwood
23. “You Raise Me Up” – Josh Groban
22. “Your Song” – Elton John (classic, and still amazing for your wedding day)
21. “You Are The Sunshine of My Life” – Stevie Wonder
20. “You’re Gonna Be” Reba McEntrire
19. “Never Alone” – Lady Antebellum
18. “93 Million Miles” – Jason Mraz
17. “Mom” – Garth Brooks
15. “How Sweet It Is” – James Taylor
14. “Stand By Me” – Ben E. King (this classic song is still super popular and was even played at the royal wedding).
13. “Landslide” – Fleetwood Mac (for the classic rock moms)
12. Days Like This– Van Morrison
11. In My Life– The Beatles
Other Parent Dance Options
We have also seen some newlywed couples dance with both of their parents using the same song, too. So if you or your significant other don’t like the spotlight, or cringe at the thought of being on the dance floor, alone for four to four and a half minutes, you can easily share a song together to do the mother-son dance song and father-daughter dance song together! If you’d rather not share the song, you can always ask your wedding DJ to shorten or edit the song, or simply fade it out at a certain point.
Here are the top 10 mother-son dance songs. Each of these songs has a link to the YouTube video, just in case you’d like to hear it, as well.
10 Best Mother to Son Dance Songs
10. Because You Loved Me– Celine Dion 1998
9. “Boy” – Lee Brice 2017
8. “Forever Young” – Rod Stewart 1988
7. I Hope You Dance– Lee Ann Womack 2000
6. What A Wonderful World – Louis Armstrong 1967 (another classic and one of the best mother son dance songs)
5. Simple Man– Lynyrd Skynyrd 1973
4. A Song for Mama– Boyz II Men 1997
3. You’ll Be in My Heart– Phil Collins – Yes, from The Jungle Book 🙂 1999
2. Humble and Kind– Tim McGraw (we’ve also seen this used for father-daughter songs 2016
#1 Most-Requested Mother Son Wedding Dance Song
My Wish– Rascal Flatts 2006. Yes, even after 15 years, this song remains one of the most requested mother son dance songs. It’s certainly understandable since the lyrics are perfect for this moment on your big day.
It’s definitely not easy to sum up a lifetime of moments and childhood memories in just one, 4-minute song, but this song from a mother to son (or even father to daughter) is a perfect choice. Here’s an excerpt of the sentimental lyrics from the Rascal Flatts song:
“My wish, for you, is that this life becomes all that you want it to,
Your dreams stay big, your worries stay small,
You never need to carry more than you can hold,
And while you’re out there getting where you’re getting to,
I hope you know somebody loves you and wants the same things too,
Yeah, this, is my wish…”
Other Parent Dance Songs
We hope this list has been helpful. Obviously, there are millions of mother son dance songs to choose from, but these are the most popular for the Austin and central Texas area. However, our list also factors the most popular requested songs from around the US.
As always, contact us if you have any more questions and we’ll be happy to help! You can also visit our YouTube channel or our Spotify channel, for other wedding song ideas!
-Austin’s Best DJs & Photo Booths