Pro vs Amateur DJs: What’s the difference between pro vs amateur DJs? Many people mistakenly think all DJs are the same. We’re here to tell you that all DJs certainly are not the same! Not even close.
We created this handy infographic to quickly tell you a few of the major differences between the professional vs the amateur, or hobbyist DJs. If you like it, feel free to share the love and share it with anyone who may need this information. We’d really appreciate it! 🙂 So let’s break down the major differences.
Pro vs Amateur DJs
- DJ Equipment
- Not all DJ equipment is the same. We get it, it looks the same, especially on various DJ websites. You’ve got your speakers, lights, and the DJ, of course. (Usually, the DJ is doing some weird pose, we’re not sure why). 🙂 Let’s be clear, though. A professional sound and lighting system costs several thousand dollars.
- It may look similar, but you’ll definitely be able to tell the difference in sound quality, quite easily. We only use the premium brands for our events, because how we look and sound is part of our brand and our clients’ experience. We want it to look and sound amazing, and it does! Say no to 70’s disco club lighting and distorted sound!
- Professional MC
- When it comes to pro vs amateur DJs, this is one of the biggest differences. A great DJ has to be able to play a variety of music, and more importantly, he/she has to be comfortable on the microphone. Your DJ is literally the guide for your wedding or event. The DJ will tell everyone what’s happening, give directions, tell what’s next, make introductions, etc.
- The DJ/MC is key to making sure your event goes smoothly. Professional DJs have a lot of experience acting as the host/MC and they will be comfortable in front of 10 or 10,000 people. Amateur DJs will often be shy on the mic, or worse, talk too much on the microphone! Having great public speaking skills is very important for our team and we train each and every one of our DJs to handle the MC duties with ease and finesse!
- Mixing a Variety of Music
- Have you ever been to a wedding where the DJ played inappropriate songs, dirty songs, or even just whole songs, back-to-back, like he/she just literally pressed “play” on a Spotify list? We’ve seen and heard this and we can tell you, it’s definitely not a sign of a professional DJ. Sometimes, a bride/groom, or client will hand us a playlist full of their favorite songs that they want to be played at their event. It may be a lot of great songs, but not songs that will get people dancing.
- We will always carry out our client’s vision, but we will usually respectfully ask about adding other music, just in case no one is dancing. We know the hits that get people dancing. Some couples want only their music played, but when no one is dancing, they will tell us “forget the playlist, just get them dancing!” A professional DJ can easily do this. Amateur DJs will freeze up and maybe play line dances. Anyone can play a line dance or two, but what other 50 songs will they play to keep people dancing? Professionals will know.
- The DJ Cares About Your Experience
- This should be a no-brainer. This is also one of the most important differences between pro vs amateur DJs! Your DJ who you hire should truly care about your experience and fulfilling your wedding day vision. If your DJ simply shows up and plays your playlist and does not care if your guests are dancing, then he/she isn’t quite as professional as he/she should be. Many DJs will show up and play what they like to hear.
- It’s not about what the DJ likes, ever. It’s about what our clients like, period. If you want us to play all 80s, all night, we’ll happily play the best 80s and keep your dancefloor packed! We know great music because we take the time to curate the perfect playlist for every event!
- DJ Cost
- Price is certainly a very important factor for any wedding/event. However, we believe that professionalism and quality should be equally important. If you were sick and needed a surgeon, would you go online looking for the lowest price doctors/surgeons?
- Would you ask if the surgeon can price match or offer you a discount? Likely not, because you want the best possible care, regardless of the cost. To us, your wedding day is exactly the same. Your wedding is one of the most important days of your life. Why would you chance it and hire the cheapest DJ possible?
We hope this infographic and article about pro vs amateur DJs has been helpful. There are numerous other differences, but these are some of the most important differences. Feel free to comment with your feedback. We’re always happy to hear from our readers! If you’d like to chat with us, contact us and we’ll be happy to help!
-Austin’s Best DJs
Be sure to check out our Wedding DJ Cost article for more great info on the cost to hire a DJ!