PARTY DJ AUSTIN
Wedding & Event Planning Tips
Relax, we're here to help!
Wedding Planning, for Grooms, Made Easy!
Every year, we help hundreds of couples plan and coordinate their weddings in the Austin and central Texas area! Though we specialize in proving DJs, photo booths, and lighting for weddings and events, we also provide wedding planning assistance, as well as day-of-coordination assistance, since the business owners, Jason and Diana, are also certified wedding and event planners!
So long story, short (sort of), we've helped thousands of couples plan their wedding or event. We've noticed along the way, that groom's usually seem to take a backseat, when it comes to helping plan the wedding. We've heard the same line from grooms, many times, "I don't know, she's planning everything; it's up to her." (By the way, don't say this). :) While it is a fact that 90% of the wedding planning is done by one person (usually the bride, but sometimes the groom), this does NOT mean that the other person can't take charge of the other 10% and give input and feedback along the way! So here are our top tips, to get grooms involved!
Grooms, Help Your Bride With These Things:
1. Determine a Date
Congrats, you're engaged! Now it's time to say goodbye to all of your free time! Just kidding, sort of. :) Now it's time to pick a date. Think about the type of wedding you want to have. In the Austin area, indoor and outdoor weddings are very popular. If you want a portion of your wedding to be outdoors, remember the Texas heat! This is why fall weddings are becoming more and more popular in our area. The fall weather is great, but keep in mind you'll have to book a venue and because fall is popular, you should start planning at least 12-18 months in advance!
2. Determine a Budget
Now that you have a date, it's time to determine a budget. By now, both of your families are aware and ideally, want to help! Determine how much you want to spend and be prepared to go over it, seriously. :) Once you have a ballpark figure, it's time to start pricing venues and vendors.
3. Get the Guest List in Order
Now that you picked a date and have a budget, it's time to start the guest list. By now, you should have an idea about how much you want to spend, it's time to determine your guest list. Decide on who you are, and more importantly, who you are not inviting. Will you invite coworkers? What's your child policy (some people have child-free weddings)? Which friends will get the invite? Are there any family members you don't want to invite? A good rule of thumb: If you have friends or family members who you have not actually communicated with, personally, in a year or more, you can likely cross them off the invite list. This is the tough part, but you have a budget to stick to.
4. Pick a Venue
One of the major expenses of the wedding is the venue. It may seem strange to pick a venue after you have your guest list, but it's wise to do this, so you know how large of a space you may need. Venues can really vary in price, in the Austin area. Some venues are as cheap as $100 per hour, while others may be $50,000 or more! It's your special, once in a lifetime moment, so plan the wedding you want, at the venue that your budget allows for. Look for a wedding venue that is already nicely decorated. This allows you to worry less about decorations, the day or weekend of the wedding.
5. Choose the Entertainment - DJ/band, ceremony musicians, photo booth, etc.
This is where grooms can take the lead. Simply draft an email or write down a few questions and begin calling or emailing different companies. We happen to know of a great DJ and photo booth company. :) Most DJ companies do not put their prices on their websites, so you'll have to email or call them, directly. DJs, bands, and photo booth companies will all need to know the following: date, start/end time, number of hours you'll need their services, location, and whether you'll need them for the ceremony and reception, or just the reception. So be sure to include all that in your email.