We wrote this article, last Spring, and decided to do an update, since some of the songs have changed and we like to keep the content and ideas up to date! Some of the popular songs from last year, have fallen off, and made way for new songs, as always. Every month, all year long, we have the honor of providing our Austin wedding DJ & Austin photo booth rentals for lots of happy couples from Austin, central Texas, and all over the United States. We are very grateful to be a part of so many special memories!
We have played numerous, great bride/groom processional and couple recessional songs for many happy couples! More and more, we're seeing less of the traditional wedding march songs and couple recessional songs. We always tell our clients, "it's your special day, make it your own! There's no need to do what everyone else does. Choose the music and the songs that fit you!"
One trend we're also seeing for late 2018 and 2019 weddings is live music for the ceremony, and key moment dances. I know you're thinking, I can't afford to add live musicians! Well, what we're seeing is family and friends of the couples, performing for their newlywed friends, so I'm sure it's cheap, or perhaps free, and better yet, they'll want to do an amazing job for your special day! :)
If you don't know any musicians, you can certainly still have the DJ play your special songs, too. Here are some of the popular non-traditional wedding processional and recessional songs we've played over the last year, as well as songs that people are requesting for their 2019 weddings. If you want to see our country wedding songs, check out our Top 15 Texas Country Wedding Songs article, as well as our 20 Great, Texas Country Wedding Songs, article, too! If you're looking for more reception song ideas, check out our Top 200 Must Play Wedding, Party, & Event Songs article.
If you want to hear any of the songs, just click on the video to play the song!
1. "Perfect" Ed Sheeran - There are a lot of different versions of this song, so be sure to listen to all of them. The acoustic version is a favorite, as well as the version with Andrea Bocelli!
2. "A Thousand Years" by Christina Perri
3. "Sea of Love" by Cat Power
4. "If I Ain't Got You" Alicia Keys
5. "All You Need is Love" The Beatles (This is not the original version, since the original version is unavailable on YouTube).
6. "I Choose You" Sara Bareilles
7. "Come Away With Me" Norah Jones
8. "Best Day of my Life" by American Authors
9. "This Must Be the Place" Iron & Wine
10. "All My Life" KC & JoJo
11. "God Bless the Broken Road" by Rascal Flatts
12. "First Day of my Life" by Bright Eyes
13. "From the Ground Up" Dan + Shay
14. "God Gave Me You" - Blake Shelton
15. "Falling in Love at a Coffee Shop" - Landon Pigg
16. "This Will Be an Everlasting Love" Natalie Cole
17. "You & Me" - Dave Matthews Band
18. "Make You Feel My Love" Adele
19."In Case You Didn't Know" - Brett Young
20. "Can't Help Falling in Love With You" - Haley Reinhart
These are 20 of the more popular songs that we've seen for many of the weddings we do in our area. We didn't want to make the list too long, so we kept it at 20. However, as overachievers, we're going to include a few more popular songs, just in case you didn't like the ones above. :) Here are a few other great songs to consider for your wedding ceremony procession or recession. "La Vie En Rose" by Cristin Milioti, "You're the One That I Want" by Angus & Julia Stone (from Grease), "Forever" by Ben Harper, and "The Luckiest" by Ben Folds.
Many couples choose the songs, listed above, and many other couples chose the more traditional songs, such as Pachelbel's "Canon in D." We estimate about 70% of couples choose the non-traditional songs. There is no "best song" for the processional or recessional song. Again, we encourage you to pick the song that fits you!
- Austin's Best DJs & Photo Booths
Wedding processional and recessional songs are important! You definitely want to choose a song that fits your personality, or something that speaks to you as a couple. Sure, you could take the easy route and just play "Canon in D" from Pachabell, but that's not you! You're different and want your wedding to be different. That's why you're here, reading this, of course! :)
Last year, we wrote a similar article, 20 great non-traditional wedding processional/recessional songs, which tons of people read, every day! What we noticed was that even the "non-traditional" songs, were starting to become the norm at many weddings. So... we decided to write another article, with different songs for you to consider. Feel free to read both articles and choose a song that works perfectly for your wedding ceremony! If you're looking for Country or Texas Country song ideas, please read our Texas Country Wedding Songs article. Any of those songs are great for the ceremony and definitely for the dance!
A recent survey was done, and participants were asked what they remembered most, from weddings they attended. The majority of participants said they remember the food, music, and basically the key moments and songs: ceremony processional/recessional songs, first dance, bouquet/garter toss, and the last song of the night. I guess they weren't paying attention to ALL of the other details, or were probably on their phones. :) That being said, at least they'll remember the important moments, and your ceremony is by far one of the most important moments of your wedding day, of course! So here is our updated list of songs for you to consider. Some of the songs may be similar, as they're great wedding songs, of course, but we don't play or hear them as much as others. If you don't know the song, just click the link to listen to it.
1. "You're the One That I Want" - Angus & Julia Stone (Yes, this is the song from Grease, but it's an awesome cover)
2. "God Only Knows" - The Beach Boys (a classic, and great wedding song)
3. "Here Comes the Sun" - The Beatles (always a great song for anytime during the wedding)
4. "Forever" - Ben Harper
5. "The Luckiest" - Ben Folds
6. "Lost in the Moment" Big & Rich
7. "La Vie En Rose" - Cristin Milioti (This is a great cover and actually from a "How I Met Your Mother episode, believe it or not)
8. "From the Ground Up" - Dan + Shay
9. "For My Wedding" - Don Henley
10. "Perfect Symphony" - Ed Sheeran & Andrea Bocelli Yes, this is "Perfect," from Ed Sheeran, but it's very different. We saw Andrea Bocelli, live, and wow, he was amazing!
11. "Without You" - Eddie Vedder (for the Alternative Rock lovers, here's a great song from one of the best Alt Rock singers)
12. "Songbird" - Fleetwood Mac (Just a great song for any time)
13. "To Make You Feel My Love" - Garth Brooks (Adele's version is very popular for weddings, so you can be different and play Garth's version)
14. "Can't Help Falling in Love" - Haley Reinhart (This is popular, and when you hear it, you'll know why)
15. "Stand By Me" - Ben E. King (This song is a classic and yes, it was even played at the Royal wedding).
So there you have it, some different, non-traditional wedding processional/recessional songs. You can use these for the first dance, candle or sand ceremony, or any moment, since they're all great songs, that are not over-played. If you want to take it a step further, you can even just get the instrumental remakes of any of these songs, too! Happy planning and congratulations!
- Austin's Best DJs & Photo Booths
Austin's Best DJs
We've taken our decades of experience and compiled it into a few helpful articles, to help you plan your wedding or event!